EFFECTS OF INULIN SUPPLEMENTATION ON TOTAL ANTIOXIDANT CAPACITY, GLUTATHIONE PEROXIDASE, SUPEROXIDASE DISMUTASE AND CATALASE ACTIVITIES OF TYPE 2 DIABETES PATIENTS

Dehghan, P and Aliasgharzadeh, A and Asghari Jafar Abadi, M and Pourghassem Gargari, B (2014) EFFECTS OF INULIN SUPPLEMENTATION ON TOTAL ANTIOXIDANT CAPACITY, GLUTATHIONE PEROXIDASE, SUPEROXIDASE DISMUTASE AND CATALASE ACTIVITIES OF TYPE 2 DIABETES PATIENTS. The Journal of Urmia University of Medical Sciences, 24 (12). pp. 977-986.

[img]
Preview
Text
4 Dehghan.pdf

Download (169kB) | Preview

Abstract

Considering the high prevalence of oxidative stress and lower total antioxidant status in type 2 diabetic patients, the aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of inulin on total antioxidant capacity, glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase and catalase activities in these patients. Materials & Methods: In this controlled, randomized clinical trial, 49 women with type 2 diabetes were assigned into two groups. Patients in the intervention group (n=24) received 10g/d inulin and patients in the control group (n=25) received 10g/d maltodextrin for 8 weeks. Dietary intakes, anthropometric measurements, total antioxidant capacity, glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase, and catalase activities were measured both at the baseline and at the end of the study. Statistical analyses were performed using SPSS 11.5 software, and the statistical analysis of covariance and paired-samples t-test were done. Results: At the end of study, there was a significant decrease in fasting blood sugar (8.40%) , HbA1c (10.40%) and a significant increase in total antioxidant capacity (18.80%) and superoxide dismutase activity (4.40%) in inulin compared to maltodextrin group (p<0.05). Change in glutathione peroxidase and catalase activities was not significant in inulin compared to maltodextrin group. All variables except glutathione peroxidase in the inulin group significantly increased at the end of study compared to baseline. The changes of variables in the maltodextrin group were not significant. Conclusion: Inulin supplementation may improve antioxidant indices in women with type 2 diabetes

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Inulin, Total antioxidant capacity, Antioxidant enzymes, Type 2 diabetes
Subjects: R Medicine > R Medicine (General)
Depositing User: Unnamed user with email gholipour.s@umsu.ac.ir
Date Deposited: 20 Nov 2017 05:49
Last Modified: 23 Jan 2019 09:21
URI: http://eprints.umsu.ac.ir/id/eprint/3320

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item