Keyhanian, SH and Sarrafzadeh, Y and Jannat Alipour, Z and Fotokian, Z and Saravi, M and Yousefi, R (2009) IRON DEFICIENCY IN WOMEN OF REPRODUCTIVE AGE AT THE TONEKABON & RAMSAR. The Journal of Urmia Nursing and Midwifery Faculty, 6 (4). pp. 197-204.

7 Keihanian.pdf

Download (195kB) | Preview


Iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia are common nutritional and hematologic disorder in worldwide. It effects on particularly women of reproductive age. Iron deficiency is the state in which the content of iron in the body is less than normal. Iron deficiency anemia in women is one of the most important problems of health and effect on learning ability, reduced work capacity, cardiovascular disorder, premature labor, low birth weight, increased mortality in mother and infant and increased morbidity from infection and cardiovascular disorder. Our aim of this study was to screening of iron deficiency anemia in women of reproductive age (15-45 years) in primary phases and to determine effective factors of iron deficiency anemia such as parity, abortion, menses, gastrointestinal bleeding and parasitical contamination and socioeconomic status in Tonekabon & Ramsar. Methods & Materials: This is a descriptive-crossectional study on 1026 women (15-45Y).our statical population involves the patients who had been visited in ramsar & tonekabon hematologic clinics. The β-thalassemic major and patients refer for chemotherapy excluded from study. We applied spss ver10 software and statistical tests such as chi- square. Results: Results showed that among1026 cases evaluated in this study, prevalence of iron depleted and iron deficiency anemia was 15.1%, 21.3% respectively. Overall 36.4% of patients were in one of the stages of IDA and IRON DEFICIENCY, that there is significant association between abortion (p=0.008), menses status (P<0.0001), parasitical contamination (p=0.01) and α-thalassemia (p<0/0001) with IDA. But there was no significant association between number of parity, number of gestation, kind of delivery, gastrointestinal bleeding, age, lived location, income, occupation and socioeconomic status and IDA. Conclusion: Notice to prevalence of iron deficiency anemia in this study (21.3%), it is necessary the women of reproductive age, if clinical manifestations or laboratory manifestations suspect to iron deficiency anemia, Ferritin, TIBC and reticolocite are ordered and on the basis of diagnosis, it is treated

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: iron deficiency, anemia, women of reproductive age.
Subjects: R Medicine > RT Nursing
Depositing User: Unnamed user with email
Date Deposited: 26 Feb 2018 05:19
Last Modified: 26 Feb 2018 05:19

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item